Organized in the autumn of 1884 by 12 captains of industry, the Morristown Club’s first home was located on the corner of Maple Avenue and Boykin Street (now Miller Road).

1885

The club moved to the Judge Dalrymple House at 154 South Street. 
1887 While enjoying an era of prosperity, the Morristown Club opened a country annex at Arthur Thompson Cottage “Brookbank” at Morris Plains, which featured two grass tennis courts, a bowling alley and a pigeon shoot. The annex quickly closed in 1889.
1889 The club moved to the Stephen Guerin House at 126 South Street. These quarters served as home throughout Morristown’s fabled “golden years”. The roster of members included merchants, stockbrokers, bankers, educators and architects as well as representatives from Morristown’s considerable naval community. Admiral Dewey was granted honorary membership along with all judges of the New Jersey Supreme Court (and “other distinguished persons”).

“Probably the most popular and luxurious resort for the gentlemen of Morristown” is how the Morris County Chronicle of December 1, 1896, described the Morristown Club.

For many members the Morristown Club was a regular stopping-off place between the club car of the Millionaires Express and Home.
1919 The Volstead Act. Like most private facilities, the Morristown Club found ways to mitigate the force of prohibition. Shortly before the act took effect the club “laid down a good supply of liquor” and accommodated members by selling them each two barrels of whiskey. When the authorities made it clear early on that no club was permitted to store alcoholic beverages on the premises … “The disposition of wines and liquors was left to the house committee with power”. However, someone seems to remember a long line of men emerging from St. Peter’s Church in single file after Sunday service, heading across the street toward the Morristown Club!

In 1929 a disastrous fire destroyed the clubhouse at 126 South Street. The story is told that President George Palmer, mindful of the club’s importance to its members as a way station, was so determined its services be uninterrupted that he bought the present clubhouse at 27 Elm Street the same day.
1929 The club moves to its present home at historic 27 Elm Street. Formerly the home of John R. Emery, Civil War veteran and Vice-Chancellor of the State of New Jersey, the Emery House was something of a landmark in Morristown, being one of its earliest brick dwellings.
1983 The clubs bi-laws were revised to include the admittance of women members. The first women elected to membership in the Morristown Club were congresswomen Milicent Fenwick and state senator Josephine Margetts.
1984 100th Anniversary Black Tie Dinner.
 
2010 First Woman President, Nancy N. Johnston
 
2014 Celebrating our 130th year.